Dental Health Program
Oral disease is a major health problem for Kentuckians. Much of this problem can be prevented through primary prevention efforts, including community water fluoridation, the application of dental sealants and fluoride varnish, oral cancer screenings, and routine dental care as well as oral health education and health promotion.
The Health Department visits participating elementary and middle schools to provide the following preventive dental services services, with parental/guardian consent, to any student who does not have a dental home:
- Dental assessments of the condition of the mouth and teeth
- Professional dental cleanings
- Fluoride varnish (prevents future cavities on the smooth surfaces of teeth)
- Dental sealants (coatings over the cavity-prone grooved surfaces of back of teeth)
- Oral hygiene instruction including nutritional counseling
- Dental health report card, including follow up information
- Second visit if if scheduling permits
This program does NOT take the place of regular check-ups at a dental office which includes x-rays to detect underlying conditions. The preventive dental services are completed by a Public Health Registered Dental Hygienist.
If you would like your student to participate in the program, please ask your child’s school for the Public Hygiene Program consent packet or call the Health Department.
210 East Walnut Street Nicholasville, KY 40356
- (859) 885-4149
- (859) 885-1863