APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT:
The Jessamine County Health Department operates under the Local Health Department Merit System Regulations as administered by the Department for Public Health. All applicants for classified positions will be reviewed and qualified by the Department for Public Health Personnel Branch. The regulations may be viewed here.
The Health Department may contract with staffing companies, such as Go-Hire Employment and Development, to oversee certain job positions. If such company is utilized, the application process will differ and will be noted within the job posting.
Contractual Employment Positions: The following application must be completed and submitted either electronically to Rebecca Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to 210 East Walnut Street, Nicholasville KY 40356. Note: For electronic submissions, please click “Submit Application” at the very end of the application once completed. For record keeping, we recommend you save a copy of the completed application.
Merit System Employment Positions: Apply at https://KOG.CHFS.KY.GOV/HOME.Create a citizen’s account and search LHDCOS (search and apply).
Each job posting below will specify which application you must submit.
The Jessamine County Health Department is accepting applications for contractual employment of a part time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor to provide basic breastfeeding information, encouragement and support to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
General Duties include:
- Complete 12 modules of Loving Support through Peer Counseling: A Journey Together training.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with pregnant and breastfeeding women as observed by the Peer Counselor Supervisor.
- Communicate effectively with Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Supervisor, local health department staff, clients, and other peer counselors, as appropriate.
- Receive an assigned caseload of pregnant and breastfeeding WIC mothers and maintains caseload number appropriate for population served.
- Contact the mothers per established protocol found in the WIC and Nutrition Manual.
- Provide counseling by telephone, home visit, clinic visit and/or hospital visit per the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor protocols and individual client’s needs and is available outside of clinic hours.
- Provide basic breastfeeding information and support such as; the benefits of breastfeeding, overcoming common barriers, establishing breastfeeding, etc. Assists clients in preventing and handling common breastfeeding problems and concerns.
- Maintain and protect client confidentiality.
- Document all contacts made with clients per the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor protocol in the WIC and Nutrition Manual.
- Operate within the Scope of Practice for a Breastfeeding peer Counselor. See Scope of Practice for WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor in the WIC and Nutrition Manual.
- Refer identified breastfeeding problems or other health issues to appropriate health professional (e.g., IBCLC, CLC, LC, Registered Dietitian/Certified Nutritionist, nurse, etc.) per Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Protocol. Other referrals may be provided per Breastfeeding Peer Counselor protocols.
- Terminate clients from the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program after three (3) documented unsuccessful attempts to contact, once the client is no longer breastfeeding or the client wishes not to participate in the program. The Contact History or Prenatal and Breastfeeding Contact Logs must be printed and placed in the participant’s medical record.
- Attend and assist with prenatal classes and breastfeeding support groups, as appropriate.
- Assist WIC staff in promoting breastfeeding peer counseling through special projects and duties, as assigned.
- Attend quarterly peer counselor meetings as directed by State Peer Counselor Coordinator. Attends other breastfeeding conferences/workshops, as appropriate.
- Complete at least 4 hours of continuing education per year related to breastfeeding, as approved by the State Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator.
- Attends Local Health Department staff orientation training and adhere to local agency policies regarding dress code, timesheets, travel, HIPAA etc.
Minimum Education, Training or Experience: High School Diploma or GED with Basic Computer knowledge and typing skills.
Special Requirements: (Age, Licensure, Regulation, Etc.) Current or Former WIC Participant, Successful breastfeeding for a minimum of 6 months and must have a current driver’s license, reliable transportation, and current vehicle insurance.
Starting Salary: $13.50/hr – May be adjusted at agency’s discretion based upon additional education, experience, licensure, certifications, etc.
Applications: The following application must be completed and submitted either electronically to Rebecca Wallace at email@example.com or delivered to 210 East Walnut Street, Nicholasville KY 40356. Note: For electronic submissions, please click “Submit Application” at the very end of the application once completed. For record keeping, we recommend you save a copy of the completed application.
Completed application and transcript must be returned by close of business October 14, 2022 to Attn: Personnel, Jessamine County Health Department, 210 E Walnut St, Nicholasville, Ky 40356
Resume will not substitute for completed application.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants and employees in this classification will be required to submit to a drug screening test and background check.