Press Release: Suicide Rates Rising Across U.S.
Suicide is a serious public health problem that can have lasting harmful effects on individuals, families, and communities. While its causes are complex and determined by multiple factors, the goal of suicide prevention is simple: 1.) Reduce factors that increase risk (i.e. risk factors) and 2.) increase factors that promote resilience (i.e. protective factors). Ideally, prevention addresses all levels of influence: individual, relationship, community, and societal. Effective prevention strategies are needed to promote awareness of suicide and encourage a commitment to social change. Learn about JCHD Suicide/Bullying Prevention Programs by clicking here.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US
- Each year 44,965 Americans die by suicide
- For every suicide, 25 attempt
- Suicide costs the US $69 Billion annually
- Men die by suicide 3.53x more often than women.
Need Help? Know Someone Who Does?
24/7 CRISIS TEXT LINE: In Crisis? Text HELLO to 741741 to interact with a trained crisis counselor. Learn more by visiting www.crisistextline.org.
Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Call 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) – Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio: tel:1-888-628-9454
- Use the online Lifeline Crisis Chat.
Both are free and confidential. You’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor in our area.
210 East Walnut Street Nicholasville, KY 40356
- (859) 885-4149
- (859) 885-1863