Well Child Examination
Children of all ages need complete health check-ups on a regular basis to promote better health for their future. With scheduled check-ups, minor health problems in children can be caught before they become serious. Physical, mental or developmental problems can also be found and treated early. Immunizations can be given at routine check-ups to prevent childhood diseases such as chickenpox, mumps, or measles.
Areas of health care that are checked during exams are:
- Medical history and physical exam
- Vision and hearing
- Immunization status
- Age appropriate health education for parents
- Lab testing including blood lead level
- Dental Health and substance abuse
- Dental varnish application and required kindergarten oral examinations
Children should get health check-ups regularly at the recommend screening intervals. School physicals are available at the Health Department and are required prior to school entry, which includes Head Start, Preschool, Kindergarten (if one was not done prior to Head Start or Preschool) and prior to entry into the sixth (6th) Grade.